The Color Purple: Celie's Letters to God

Author: Billy Lau // Category:

Celie is going through a really hard time. The society back then did not favor women. They get beaten by their husband, which they can get at like 14. Women had to take care of kids and all the chores in the house. Men could just go off and do anything they wanted to. Celie needs help in life, so she turns to God. God is Celie's only help and hope.
"May you give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me." pg1  
“With God help.” Pg3
She prays everyday and is totally desperate for religion. I think that as time goes on, God will never show her a sign. She will lose faith and turn away from God. Her relationship with God is at the bare minimum. She does not seem to know how to pray, because she does not say “Amen” and she prays like she is writing letters to a best friend. Her beliefs are that God  will help her and her sister.
"I see him looking at my little sister. She scared. But I say I'll take care of you."
Celie has many different characteristics. She is a strong woman, because she wants to help her sister. Celie is also scared of men, especially her dad. She always gets beaten for something she did not do.
"He beat me...cause...I winked at a boy...I don't even look at mens.. I only look at women...caused I'm not scared of them ." pg5
Although Celie is scared of men, she is still obedient and she works super hard for them. The dad describes Celie as a very hard working woman.
"She ugly. He say. But she ain't no stranger to hard work. And she clean. And God done fixed her. You could do everything just like you want to and she ain't gonna make you feed it or clothe it."
Celie has been changed by the society and environment around her. She has become strong like a rock, too obedient to people, and scared of men. In the future I bet that Celie will have her own family, but her husband might treat her nicely because of her traits.

0 Responses to "The Color Purple: Celie's Letters to God"

Post a Comment