Reflective Essay

Author: Billy Lau // Category:
It seems as though I had done very little blog posts for in the past. I like having a blog because you get to express yourself online for everyone to see. Having a blog has changed the way I write, think, and think about writing because I don't have to do the more structured academic assignments I do in class. My writing has improved when I get writer's block and there are many reasons why I get stuck. I also have a hard time thinking about what to write about ,so I just choose a lame topic and write about that. Writer’s block also gets me stuck but I learned new ways in class that help eliminate this problem. In my blog I  wrote a lot about Justin Bieber. I didn't get a very good grade on that. I also wrote about games and I compared the Xbox 360 to the Play Station 3. On response topics, I found interesting things that I would like to have a say in. I like to express my feelings and how I feel about other people’s blogs. My blog posts are half responses to other people and half of them I wrote myself. I tried to use my list of vocabulary words in my writing but I could never really get them in. I enjoyed having a blog and discovering other student’s ideas and how they think.

I blog two times a week.  It was a requirement from my writing teacher to do this, but I enjoy blogging on my computer rather than writing with my bare hands. I enjoy completing my homework assignments online because you do not have to go to school to turn it in.  It has eased my homework because I don't have to turn in homework until Friday. Blogging has changed the way I write because I do not have to follow a single prompt. I can write however I want.  In eight grade I didn't write as much but this year I been writing every week. Writing more has helped me to get pass writer's block and it gave me more time to develop ideas throughout the week. I think differently when I write now because before, writing quick writes always gave me writer's block but now I am getting less and less of it.  I can think about the topic deeper when I write more. It has made me think differently about writing because posting blogs do not seem like a requirement anymore. I feel like I have to do it to let the world know how I feel and a way for me to express my ideas and opinions to other writers. I can write about legalizing graffiti to the life of Justin Bieber. Here’s a link to a Justin Bieber post about why people should not hate on him.  In this post, I have came up with many reasons why no one should hate on him. Many people have responded to it, and I liked reading their post of how they felt. In this I learned that there are many perspectives of views different people have. Finally, weekly blogging has changed my opinion in writing for fun and writing because you have to.

   Writer’s block really pissed me off the first time I hit into it. The first time I get it and the only time I get it is when I am doing quick writes. I have to think while I write because I can’t think first then write non-stop. Writer’s block prevented me from writing well because my head fills with thoughts not about the topic. I have learned that it is easier to write when the lights are closed and you are alone, because then there are no distractions and your mind is on the topic. Brainstorming helps organized and also beef up my ideas that I will write about. Writer’s block has taught me to brainstorm many ideas and to jot them down so if I get stuck I will have more ideas to talk about. I tend to get stuck because I do not know what details I can add in. I explain a lot at first but afterward I have nothing else to put in. Getting writer’s block occurs almost every time I write, and I have no solution. One solution I thought about was rereading the prompt and make up questions using it. Afterward I can answer those questions and add it to my writing. I think writer’s block is a road people stumble into because they have answered the prompt too concise and that it lacks imagery, details or description. Another way to overcome writer’s block is to plan out my ideas in the beginning and try to add more details just in case if I get stuck. I have an example of encountering writer’s block and not getting into the minimum word count here. This post could have gotten more details inserted in to meet the required amount of words. I reread this and compared it to other people’s essay. I noticed that it isn’t as long as theirs. Writer’s block to me is just a time when the writer just blanks out and can not think of anything else to add.



For the next quarter I hope to improve my writing and also to extend the length of my blog. I want to put more time into my blog posts but most of the time I procrastinate to the last day and my posts turns out horribly and short. I also need to include words from my vocabulary list, because I know it will help me in the future. In class I learned about redundancy and I want to exclude that from my writing. My writing posts are getting C’s, and I now know to step up my game. I can do all this by brainstorming first and start planning out my posts all throughout the week and to not procrastinate and to just start right away.  For the next quarter blog posts with these new goals, I expect my writing to improve.
 

0 Responses to "Reflective Essay"

Post a Comment